The Assistant Stork

The US Department of State, the Embassies and the Assistant Stork will be closed Monday, February 18, 2013 for President's Day.


As of 9/17/2012

The US Department of State is changing their processing time.  Instead of processing documents while you wait, it will now take 3 - 5 business days.

China Work (Z) Visas
The US Department of State, most Embassies
and The Assistant Stork will be closed 
Monday, November 12, 2018 for Veteran's Day. 
All visa applications must go to the Consulate that rules their jurisdiction.  We can no longer process visas for families living outside our jurisdiction. Our jurisdiction is: DE, DC, ID, KY, MD, MT, NE, NC, ND, PR, SC, SD, TN, UT, USVI, VA, WV & WY.
Please use the service of your choice (i.e. FedEx/ExpressMail/UPS) to mail your documents to:

The Assistant Stork
Laura Morrison
2144 Aquia Drive
Stafford, VA  22554
Our phone number is:  540-659-6845

Please be sure to sign the "waiver of signature" on your package if you send your documents via ExpressMail.  We are in DC processing dossiers when the mail carrier arrives.  There is a special place the mail carrier leaves the dossiers that only he or she can see from our door, not visible to the street.  This is not necessary with UPS or FedEx, but please do not REQUIRE a signature.  Do not bother sending your package any faster than Priority Overnight.  We live far enough away from the airport that First Overnight does not get here until long after Steve has left for DC.  

Open your passport and lay it flat to put inside the envelope.  Make sure those passports don't FEEL like passports from the outside.  Please do not use the Post Office's PRIORITY MAIL service.  Their processing time is not guaranteed and if they lose your package, they claim there is no way to trace it.  This has happened numerous times over the years we have been in business, and I don't care what the guy at the Post Office tells you, they will claim they cannot trace it if your passports are lost.  If you must use the post office, please create your label online at It's the best way to track your package if it should become lost. In the history of our business, the post office has lost more packages than FedEx, UPS and DHL combined. Please go the extra mile and create your labels on-line. So far for us, they haven't lost any that the labels were created on-line.
Please email us your tracking number when you send your package so we can be on the lookout for it. 

We will need:

1.  A personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order made out to "The Assistant Stork" for $75 per visa for regular (4 business day) processing. 

2.  A prepaid, self addressed FedEx/UPS/ExpressMail (whichever you prefer) envelope for us to send you back your documents.  If you choose to send FedEx or UPS, please get an account number.  They are free and will save you money.  Go to, or to create your labels.  Do not give us a Priority Mail label to send out your completed documents unless you have created the return mailing label on-line at  

3.  A passport for each person - BE SURE ALL PASSPORTS ARE SIGNED!!!!  Each passport must have at least six months validity and at least 4 blank pages (not including the amendment pages) or the Chinese Embassy will reject the visa application.

4.  A PHOTOCOPY of the PASSPORT INFORMATION PAGE (for each person) - that's the signature page and the page with your photo and information.  Please do not copy the entire passport. The Embassy of China requires all copies of passports be separate.  You can no longer copy two passports onto one sheet of paper. We also need a copy of each adult's "State ID," such as a driver's license, to prove that you live in the Embassy's jurisdiction.

5.  A completely filled out visa application (with photo paper-clipped on). There are new regulations for the photographs. Many visa applications get rejected due to not following the new rules for the photographs. Please do not attach the photo.  Please just paperclip it to your application. Please see:  

for the latest requirements for photos. Please print out the new requirements and take them to the photographer with you.

They will no longer accept hand-written applications.  If a line is not applicable to you, please put "N/A" in that space.  If the form is not filled out completely, it will be rejected. I have included step-by-step instructions for filling out your applications at the end of this email. Be sure to use the Application Form that went into effect on September 3, 2013:  
and type out the form on-line in CAPITAL LETTERS. No hand-written form will be accepted! No exceptions!
If you have trouble typing on the form, download the Chinese character package and/or use another Browser: i.e. Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari. If all else fails, try the computer at your local Library.

6. Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship). If this applies to you, you must include the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of stay, permit for residence, work, study or valid US visa.

7. Photocopy and original of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas. If you have obtained Chinese visas before and want to apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, please include a photocopy of the previous passport's data & photo pages and a photocopy of all previous Chinese visas.  (If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, please include a photocopy of an official document of name change.) 

8. Original and photocopy of the Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Entity or Confirmation Letter of Invitation issued by relevant Chinese entities and ONE of the following:

  •  A photocopy of the Foreigners Employment Permit of the People's Republic of China issued by Chinese government authorities for Human Resources and Social Security.
  • Original and photocopy of Permit for Foreign Experts Working in China issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts
  • Original and photocopy of Registration Certificate of Resident Representative Offices of enterprises of foreign countries issued by Chinese authorities of industrial and commercial administration
  • Original and photocopy of an approval document for commercial performances issues by the Chinese government authorities for cultural affairs
  • Original and photocopy of a Letter of Invitation to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations issued by China National Offshore Oil Corporation
  • An official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works

9.  A money order, business check or cashier's check (they won't accept personal checks) made out to "The Embassy of China" for $140 per visa for 5 day turnaround for holders of American passports.  For citizens of other countries, see below.  It is now required to have separate money for each visa.

Number of Entries American   Citizens of other countries
Single Entry $140   $30
Double Entries $140   $45
Multiple Entries for 6 months $140   $60
Multiple Entries for 12 months $140   $90
Multiple Entries for 24 months   $140   N/A

Filling out the Application:

1.1) Full English Name as in passport: Write your last name after "Last Name," your middle name after "Middle Name" and your first name after "First Name."
1.2) Name in Chinese: Write "N/A" unless you have a Chinese name. If you have a Chinese name, please write it in Chinese.
1.3) Other names: This would be a maiden name, nickname, other married names, etc.
1.4) Sex: Please choose male or female
1.5) Date of birth: Fill out in format full year - month - day
1.6) Current nationality(ies): Please fill in your current nationality as in your passport, usually this is "USA"
1.7) Former nationality(ies): Please fill in any former nationality you've ever had, if applicable. 
1.8) Place of birth: Please fill in the name of your birth place (City, Province/State and Country). 
1.9) Local ID/Citizenship number: Please fill in your driver's license number 
1.10) Passport/Travel document type: Usually "Ordinary" unless you are traveling under a Diplomatic or military passport
1.11) Passport Number: Please fill in the number of the passport with which you are applying for the visa.
1.12) Date of issue: Please fill in the date of issue of your passport, in the date format yyyy-mm-dd
1.13) Place of issue: Write exactly what it says on your passport.  If it says "National Passport Center" that's what you write.  If it says, "UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE" that's what you write.  You may abbreviate if it doesn't fit, like "US DEPT OF STATE." 
1.14) Date of expiry: Please fill in the expiration date of your passport, in the date format yyyy-mm-dd 
1.15) Current occupation: Usually "Businessperson" or "Company Employee."
1.16) Education: If you have not attended college, please write after "Other (Please specify):"  High school or whatever applies
1.17) Employer/School: Completely fill out. If the name doesn't explain the business, please put what it is in parentheses, i.e. ABC Corp (Computers)
1.18) Home address: Completely fill out your home address, minus zip code 
1.19) Zip Code: Zip code of your home address
1.20) Home/Mobile Number: Either or both
1.21) Email address: Only use one. You can use lowercase letters if the address doesn't fit.
1.22) Marital Status: Self-explanatory
1.23) Major family members: Your spouse, plus any relative traveling with you to China. If no one is traveling with you, then the info for your parents or spouse.
1.24) Emergency Contact: First person you want contacted if there are any problems, other than anyone traveling with you.
1.25) Country or Territory where the applicant is located when applying for this visa: Usually "USA"

2.1) Major purpose of your visit: Work
2.2) Intended number of entries: Choose the one you wish
2.3) Are you applying for express service? "Yes" would be 1-2 day service. "No" is regular 5 day processing.
2.4) Expected date of your first entry into China on this trip: MAKE SURE IT IS WRITTEN YYYY-MM-DD!!
2.5) Longest intended stay: Add up all the days you will be in China for this trip
2.6) Itinerary in China: Please fill in name and address and phone number(s) of all the places you will be staying during the visit in China in chronological order.  They are now requiring this info, so get it from your office or person you are working for in China.
2.7) Who will pay for your travel?: Please fill in who will pay for your cost of traveling and living during your stay in China. 
2.8) Information of your inviter or contact unit in China. Get this information from your inviter 
2.9) If you have ever been granted a China visa? If yes, please specify the date and place of the last time you were granted the visa. Usually, "USA."
2.10) Other countries or territories you have visited in the last 12 months: Specify date, name of countries or territories and purpose of the visits. 

3.1) Have you ever overstayed your visa or residence permit in China? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”. 
3.2) Have you ever been refused a visa for China, or been refused entry into China? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.3) Do you have any criminal record in China or any other country? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.4) Are you experiencing any of the following conditions? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.5) Did you visit countries or territories infected by infectious diseases in the last 30 days? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.6) If you select “Yes” to any questions from 3.1 - 3.5, please give details. Please contact me first before you answer "yes" to any of these.
3.7) If you have more information about your visa application other than the above to declare, please give details. Or type on a separate sheet of paper.
3.8) If someone else travels and shares the same passport with the applicant, please affix their photos and give their information below:  Please type "N/A" after "Full name" if you hold a USA passport. American passports do not allow anyone to travel on anyone else's passports.

4.1) Please read closely and understand all the questions on this application form, and be fully responsible for the answers and the photo. 
4.2) Please confirm that you understand that whether to issue a visa, type of visa, numbers of entries, validity and duration of each stay will be decided by consular officers, and any false, misleading or incomplete statement may result in the refusal of a visa for or denial of entry into China. 
4.3) Please understand that even if you are granted a visa, you may be refused entry into China. If you agree, please sign and fill in the date (make sure the date is in the correct format.) Please note: ALL applicants MUST sign except minors less than 21 years whose parent or guardian must sign on behalf of him or her. The adult must sign their own name. 
If this application form is completed by another person on the applicant’s behalf, please have that person complete section 5. 

5.1) Name: Please fill in the name of the person who completed the application form. 
5.2) Relationship: Please fill in the relationship to the applicant of that person who completes this application form. 
5.3) Address: Please fill in the address of that person who completes this application form. 
5.4) Phone number: Please fill in the phone number of that person who completes this application form. 
5.5) Declaration: Please sign and date - in the date format required
If this section is not applicable, put N/A in 5.1 and leave the signature line for this section blank.

Please call or email if you have any other questions.  My number is 540-659-6845 and I'm available M-F from 9 AM-4 PM EST.  If you choose to phone, please be aware that we are often in an Embassy or the State Department and are not allowed to take calls. Leave a message and we will return your call.
Residence PermitA holder of category D, J1, Q1, S1, X1 or Z visa must apply for a residence permit at the local public security authorities within 30 days of entry into China unless the Duration of Each Stay on the visa is marked as 30 days. Members of foreign diplomatic or consular missions in China must apply for a residence permit at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or local foreign affairs departments within 30 days of entry into China.